DIY Cake Plate • Pizza pan with butter knives

So here it is…my first DIY cake plate! And it cost me a whole dollar!!! Can’t beat that!
cakeplatewithknifelegs1After checking out all of the inspirations I showed you, I ended up at the dollar store. I loved the idea of using the pizza pan but I couldn’t find a base that would work. My clever husband, however, had the perfect idea!
cakeplatediysuppliesOur friend, Rick, had recently given me a box full of old silverware that he had been hoarding storing in his garage. By luck I found three matching knives with lovely, old, worn handles and the silver matched the pizza pan perfectly!
markingknifestobendSince we wanted all the legs to bend at the exact same spot, I marked them with a Sharpie. The marker wiped right off when we were done.
bendingknifeforcakeplatelegLee, the hubby, bent them all for me using a pair of pliers.  Since the knives where old, he was very gentle with the bending so as not to go too far and snap the blade off.
bottomofcakeplateUsing a super scientific method to find the center of the pizza pan (I completely eyeballed it!!!), I added E600 to the bottom of the knife blades. Not shown in the picture is the frustration of trying to hold three knives down at the same time! I ended up putting a piece of wax paper on top of the blades and then a heavy bowl so they could stay flat and dry overnight. In hindsight, I should have done them one at a time so as to avoid the super messy glue job that you see in the photo. Oh well, live and learn! No one should be looking at the bottom anyhow!!
knifelegoncakeplateI think it is a fun and unique cake plate! It does have one fun little perk…if placed on a slick surface, it has a bit of suspension, so I won’t be putting any super big cakes on it!! It works way better on a fabric surface.
cakeplatewithknifelegs1As for the cupcakes displayed on top…those are for another post (find it here!!).  Just a hint…have you tried painting on fondant?

I am super happy with my newest DIY project! Did the inspirations from my round-up give you some ideas? Did you try making your own cake plate? Share what you did in the comments below!

I link up at these great parties!

Share Button
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. 10

says

That is amazing! LOVE it!! So creative and seems so simple to make! I love vintage silverware too and you found a great way to re-purpose!
    Thanks for sharing your creation ~

• 11

Consie Sindet says

Thanks, Judi! I still have a box full of the silverware so more projects are in the works!

• 15

Consie Sindet says

Thanks, Janel! I try to never miss the party! I give alot of credit to the hubby for thinking up the leg idea!

• 18

Consie Sindet says

Thanks, Andrea! I was so excited when my husband came up with the leg idea! Made the whole cake plate!

2. 19

JaneEllen says

Now that’s really using imagination. Using the knives that way is super brilliant, love love it. I’ts different than I’ve ever seen. I’ve got to make a cake plate this way but first I’d better head to the $store. Need me couple of those pizza pans cause there might be a rush on them after people see your genius cake plate. Will look at thrift store also for some old knives. So glad you shared this project. Happy 4th.

• 20

Consie Sindet says

Thanks, JaneEllen! I do love the pizza pans! I am trying to think up some other ways to use them. Happy 4th to you as well.

• 22

Consie Sindet says

Thanks for visiting. Take my tip about gluing each leg separately to heart!! There was a lot of cussing involved with gluing all three at the same time! But I say go for it anyway!

• 29

Consie Sindet says

Thanks, Sande! I would love to see that project. I will try to google search it…sounds fun!

• 33

Consie Sindet says

Thanks, Brenda! It would look great with some of your totally fun sweets on top!! Great ideas on your blog! And I love how your son finally confessed to keeping pop tarts in his desk…too funny!! Have a great 4th!

3. 44

Hannah says

This is super cool. I wonder if E6000 would be strong enough to attach the bottoms of the knives to another pan so you could make a multi-tiered one, or if that would be too heavy to stand up anyway. Look at me, thinking of ways to serve a whole bunch of cupcakes at once! I almost never cook for people.

You should post this on Kollabora, the crafting community I’m part of—the decor section has been looking a little sparse of late.

• 45

Consie Sindet says

Thanks, Hannah! The E6000 would be strong enough. It would be the knives I would be worried about. Once you bend them, they are a bit weaker. I will definitely check out the crafting community you mentioned!